What type of high school learner is an ideal student to attend St. Joseph Education Center?
Saint Joseph’s students are learners who find challenges with the typical timetable for a variety of reasons. St. Joseph’s Education Center responds to students’ particular circumstances and is flexible to adapt to students’ diverse learning needs.
As a high school student am I required to attend classes daily?
Consistent attendance is recommended in order for students to experience academic success. Teachers will require students to remain in contact with them throughout the year. Support plans are developed on an ongoing basis depending on the needs of the student.
Help me understand about St. Joseph’s Education Center?
- With teacher assistance, students build their own program from Alberta Education-approved courses and set their goals in order to complete the requirements for a high school diploma.
- Students do independent work, some self-directed and some teacher-directed, in a comfortable, friendly environment.
- Courses, activities and learning packages are set up so students can successfully complete one module per week. For the 30-level courses, students can complete one module every two weeks.
- The program can accommodate students who require flexible hours and individualized programs.
- High school credits are awarded upon course completion.
What high school courses are offered?
St. Joseph’s Education Center students may take two core courses at a time. They may also be enrolled in one complimentary course.
- Math 10-3, 20-3, 30-3, 10C, 20-1, 20-2, 30-1, 30-2, 30-3 & 31
- Science 10, 14, 24, Biology 20 & 30, Science 20 &30, Chemistry 20 & 30, Physics 20 & 30
- English 10-1, 20-1, 30-1, 10-2, 20-2, 30-2, 10-4, 20-4, 30-4
- Social 10-1, 20-1, 30-1, 10-2, 20-2, 30-2, 10-4, 20-4, 30-4
- Religion 15, 25, 35
- HCS 3010/3000
- Work Experience 15, 25, 35
- Physical Education 10
- Options/Complementary Courses-Contact school directly for an array of courses
Am I required to take Religion classes?
For each year you are enrolled as a student with us, you will be required to take a religion class if your intentions are to participate in graduation ceremonies.
Is there a minimum number of credits that I need to be enrolled in?
When you enrol with us an intake meeting will take place designed to help you set up your programming for the year. An effort will be made to help you balance your timetable so that you remain on track for graduation.
Can I earn my high school diploma at St. Joseph’s Education Center?
If you meet the requirements of Alberta Education, you can earn your high school diploma at St. Joseph’s Education Center.
Is there someone available to help me choose the courses that I need to take?
When you enroll with us, an intake meeting will take place. At this meeting, you will discuss the courses that you would like to take with your teacher and administrator.
I am an upgrading student, can I take courses through St. Joseph’s Education Center?
Students must be 19 years old, or younger as of September 1 in order to be enrolled.
What supports are in place for students?
We have a variety of supports available for students that include our school staff, on-site mental health, academic counselors, learning services support, social worker and numerous community agencies.